Harassment—from garden-variety title calling to more dangerous behavior— is a type of part of online life that colors the experiences of several internet users.
Overview of Findings
completely 73% of adult online users have seen some one be harassed in some manner online and 40% have actually individually skilled it, based on a new study by the Pew Research Center.
Pew Research asked participants about six various types of online harassment. Those that witnessed harassment stated that they had seen one or more associated with the occur that is following others online:
- 60% of online users stated that they had witnessed some body being called unpleasant names
- 53% had seen efforts to purposefully embarrass some body
- 25% had seen somebody being actually threatened
- 24% witnessed someone being harassed for the sustained duration of the time
- 19% stated they witnessed somebody being intimately harassed
- 18% stated that they had seen some body be stalked
All those who have personally experienced harassment that is online these people were the mark of at the least among the after on line:
- 27% of internet surfers have now been called names that are offensive
- 22% experienced somebody make an effort to embarrass them purposefully
- 8% were actually threatened
- 8% were stalked
- 7% have already been harassed for the period that is sustained
- 6% have now been intimately harassed
In Pew Research Center’s very first study specialized in the niche, two distinct but overlapping kinds of online harassment happen to internet surfers. The very first pair of experiences is somewhat less serious: it offers name-calling and embarrassment. It’s a layer of annoyance so common that people who see or encounter it say they often times ignore it.
Of the who’ve been harassed online, 55% (or 22% of all of the internet surfers) have actually exclusively experienced the “less severe” types of harassment while 45% (or 18% of all of the online users) have actually dropped target to virtually any of this “more serious” forms of harassment. [···]