even though the GRE ® Analytical Writing measure contains two discrete analytical writing tasks, just one combined score is reported because it is more reliable than either task score alone. The score reported will represent the common of this scores when it comes to two tasks.
Score of 6 Outstanding
A 6 paper presents a cogent, well-articulated critique associated with argument and conveys meaning skillfully.
A paper that is typical this category:
- clearly identifies important options that come with the argument and analyzes them insightfully
- develops ideas cogently, organizes them logically and connects these with clear transitions
- effectively supports the key points associated with the critique
- demonstrates control of language, including word that is appropriate and sentence variety
- demonstrates facility with the conventions (for example., grammar, usage and mechanics) of standard written English but might have minor errors
Score of 5 Strong
A 5 paper presents a generally thoughtful, well-developed critique of the argument and conveys meaning clearly.
A typical paper in this category:
- clearly identifies important features of the argument and analyzes them in a generally perceptive way
- develops ideas clearly, organizes them logically and connects these with appropriate transitions
- sensibly supports the main points regarding the critique
- demonstrates control of language, including appropriate word choice and sentence variety
- demonstrates facility with the conventions of standard written English, but may have errors that are minor
Score of 4 Adequate
A 4 paper presents a critique that is competent of argument and conveys meaning adequately.
A paper that is typical this category:
- identifies and analyzes important features of the argument
- develops and organizes ideas satisfactorily, but might not connect these with transitions
- supports the key points regarding the critique
- demonstrates sufficient control over language to convey ideas with reasonable clarity
- generally demonstrates control of the conventions of standard written English, but might have some errors
Score of 3 Limited
A 3 paper demonstrates some competence in its critique of best writing service this argument and in conveying meaning, it is obviously flawed.
A paper that is typical this category exhibits a number of associated with the following characteristics:
- does not identify or analyze a lot of the important attributes of the argument, even though some analysis for the argument is present
- mainly analyzes tangential or irrelevant matters, or reasons poorly
- is bound into the development that is logical organization of ideas
- offers support of little relevance and value for points regarding the critique
- lacks clarity in expressing ideas
- contains occasional errors that are major frequent minor errors in grammar, usage or mechanics that can interfere with meaning
Score of 2 Seriously Flawed
A 2 paper demonstrates serious weaknesses in analytical writing.
A paper that is typical this category exhibits one or more regarding the following characteristics:
- will not present a critique centered on logical analysis, but may instead present the writer’s own views on the subject
- Does not develop ideas or is illogical and disorganized
- provides little if any relevant or reasonable support
- has serious problems in the use of language plus in sentence structure that frequently interfere with meaning
- contains serious errors in grammar, usage or mechanics that frequently meaning that is obscure
Score of 1 Fundamentally Deficient
A 1 paper demonstrates fundamental deficiencies in analytical writing.
A paper that is typical this category exhibits a number of of the following characteristics:
- provides little or no evidence of the ability to understand and analyze the argument
- provides little if any proof of the capacity to develop an organized response
- has severe problems in language and sentence structure that persistently interfere with meaning
- contains pervasive errors in grammar, usage or mechanics that lead to incoherence